Monday, August 20, 2007

MaKe YoUr OwN kInD oF mUsIc



----------------
Now playing:
The Mamas and The Papas - Make Your Own Kind Of Music
via FoxyTunes


They say, "Curiosity Kills The Cat"; in that case I wouldn't fit the pussy(?) bill... not because of the gender thingy, but only because I seem to have survived all my "Court Trials" of curiosities.

Curiosity #1: Crib-hood (Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah)

In the Crib, I presume I was curious about the outside world, wanted to hop out, get carried around, across distances like Giant Robot and HE-MAN very much like... today's Krish... er... Spider man... oops!... Harry Potter in the air. One fine day, I got out of the crib and it was time to go to school.

Hated school. The noisy loudmouthed teachers, painfully blalkative (blabbering+talkative) "benchmates" and that horrible wait in line to show my homework to an unemotional, inexpressive face of a teacher who would "hmmm" in acknowledgment of any homework with a "complete" status.

Enjoyed that walk to and from school though... watching humans all my way up and down...


Curiosity #2: Childhood... Schoolage (School+Bondage)

Until a few years ago, I was unable and unwilling to accept that in India, STD is not just about Standards in schools but also about Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Standard Trunk Dialing...

At school, growing up, through those "Standards", I would sit in a corner and begin my day-dreaming-exercise until one day when I realize that my teacher had waited with the entire class for close to an hour to begin the session after I was done with my engagement with the "others"! Mom signed the complaint in my diary. Nothing happened. Life went on... I still remember, my English Teacher didn't know to read C'mon as Come on and in a nonchalant manner, read that as See Mon! lol!

We questioned her; she rubbished us with an overwhelming SHUT UP!

I was curious! Wanted to know how it would be like, to go to college, far away from these policy driven schools that hardly have playgrounds and those that have, have policies that restrict your sports sessions to an hour a week!

Curiosity #3: WAGE (Wannabe+Adolescence....CollE/Age (Collecting Dad's missing monies and the coming of age! or the faint yet strong belief about coming of age!)

In college! Hotel Management has been chosen by the HOF - Head of the Family. Hof! Hof! Hof! Cooking, cleaning, waiting was not fun but was good enough for me to reach self-realization. However, back in 5 Star Hotels, I made friends with disenchantment when I was asked to use used room linen to wipe drinking glasses after rinsing them with the water from the shower in the room!

Their HWV is awesome! Hotel Work Vocabulary! Hey you Mother****er! If you are working in a star hotel and are not being addressed this way, you should be a gay serviceman for the hotel's Alexanders or you are definitely one of the Alexanders yourself... or probably you are a woman, Straight Woman! Hmm... Cross Dresser too!

In short, anything but a straight, no-nonsense gentleman.

And of course the guests aren't addressed this way at all! Only behind their back!


Disenchantment encouraged me to pursue my Commerce course and a Back-up Sales and Marketing course. Curiosity took me places.


Burnt a few fingers, saved a few in time as well. The next curiosity was about working, marriage and fatherhood. I have survived all the 3 curiosities as well and I shall write about that sooner or later... until then, let me continue to take life as it comes, and not ponder too much over what others have to say about how to go about my job or my house or how to bring up Antara!


Advice comes easy... usually! We have survived and are moving on...


Life is entirely different from what people (parents included) told me about it and I have learned to make my own kind of music and sing my own special song, even if nobody sang along...








6 comments:

Dilip Muralidaran said...

wow, that is one awesome write up, absolutely loved that motha**f*** stuff!

Giresh Nair said...

Thank you Dilip :) I still laugh thinking about it - lol

biddu abraham said...

as promised...

the next time will definitely keep in mind about the drinkin glasses in a hotel room ...

lookin to read more of ur blog...

Giresh Nair said...

Sure Bid, You will see more of my blogs shortly.

Unknown said...

I could go through your blog spot only now and I understand the "plenty of fish in the ocean" stuff. Kudos! You are truly a role model!

Giresh Nair said...

We are all role models in many ways. I'm glad you got the fish thingy ;)